Hutchinson, Sonja – Organic Under Texture in Watercolor
Creating the textures and underpaintings in this workshop is messy.
Please wear old painting clothes .
You will likely have most of these supplies on hand.
- One full sheet or 4 quarter sheets of 140# watercolor paper (11 x 15″ each)
- I prefer Arches as it holds up well to these processes.
- If you have paper on a watercolor block, that will work as well.
- Paper towels, Kleenex or napkins
- Old newspapers to protect work surface
Your regular watercolor paints (tubes or liquid)
Brushes and mark making tools
- Your regular painting brushes
- Sponges, scrapers, old credit cards
- Tracing paper
- Pencils and black markers for quick value sketches
- Quart- or gallon-size plastic tub (recycled ice cream buckets work well for this)
- Your regular watercolor containers
- Mist Spray bottle
Your reference material
- 4-6 images you may want to incorporate into your textured surfaces
- Contour drawings work well with this process
- Sketches, themes or concepts to explore.
- A support surface slightly larger than your paper
- Ruler, scissors, masking tape, snap cutter (from the hardware store)
- Enthusiasm and a sense of adventure.