Presented by the Minnesota Watercolor Society (MNWS) and Minnetonka Center for the Arts (MCFTA)
April 14 – April 17, 2020
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Workshop hosted at MCFTA
Minnesota Watercolor Society and the Minnetonka Center for the Arts will co-host Jeannie McGuire’s Water Media Figurative Design with Watercolor workshop featuring her unique projects and experimental approach. You’ll be invited to: imagine a story, character and persona of people in reference photos; find a signature style; strengthen drawing and painting skills; discover the freedom of an intuitive approach to create memorable paintings.
- the interplay between figurative subject(s) and backgrounds
- natural design in reference materials
- cropping impact
- pigment maintenance
- high ratio of pigment to water
- intentional and spontaneous marks
- use of titanium white
- and the freedom to change your mind.
Each day begins with a project-specific demo such as: unconventional exploration of eyes and faces; single-figure focus with nonspecific background; integrating figurative grouping with background elements. Artists receive lots of personal attention and plenty of painting time.
Pittsburgh-based artist, Jeannie McGuire, utilizes free application and stylistic expression in her award-winning watercolors. Personal photography, appropriated snapshots, and life drawings provide her creative spark. Her work has been described as “a brilliant combination of emotion, movement, and artistry.” Impressionistic in nature, but anchored in recognizable subject matter, her figurative approach is truly unique. Her work was awarded the American Watercolor Society’s 144th Gold Medal of Honor, is widely exhibited internationally, and featured in numerous art publications—most recently, International Artist Magazine, 2018.
Application is by lottery for MN Watercolor Society (MNWS) and Minnetonka Center for the Arts (MCFTA) members ONLY beginning September 9, 2019. Members of both organizations must identify with one or the other for purposes of lottery and note on application form.
- $525 for four-day workshop.
- $100 deposit and application secures inclusion in the lottery. Deposit is refunded if application is not drawn.
Application must be received by midnight, January 26, 2020. If your application is drawn you will be called the day of the lottery, January 27. If you accept a spot in the workshop, balance of $425 is due in full by credit card or by check to MCFTA by February 3, 2020. If payment is not received your spot will be offered to next applicant drawn.
Withdrawal fee after registration:
- Before Feb 9, $100
- Feb 10 to March 1, $260
- After March 1, $525.
Lottery application opens September 9, 2019 through Minnetonka Center for the Arts:
- By phone with credit card 952-473-7361 ext. 160
- By mail with check with details listed below to MCFTA, 2240 North Shore Drive, Wayzata, MN 55391
- By email with details listed and method of payment indicated to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the following information for your lottery application:
- Full name
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Which organization’s membership you are apply under (MNWS or MCFTA)