Plein Air supply list
I appreciate how purchasing all of them represents quite an investment. If you have colors or materials similar to these, feel comfortable to substitute. We can paint with primary colors if we have to! Be sure to have a white (Flake, Titanium or Zinc), ivory black, and the three primary colors. A Cadmium Yellow, a Cadmium Red and either a Cobalt or Ultramarine Blue.
For the best prices, try the websites for Italian Art Store, www.italianartstore.com, and Jerry’s Art-A-Rama www.jerrysartarama.com.
Clothes: Dress for the weather.
Brushes: A variety of sizes. Flats preferable.
Colors: 37 ml tubes. Gamblin and Windsor-Newton are good brands. Utrecht and Winton are fine. But I recommend you splurge for Old Holland for at least one tube of Cadmium Yellow Light.
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Cadmium Yellow
- Cadmium Orange
- Cadmium Scarlet
- Cadmium Red
- Alizarin Crimson
- Manganese Blue
- Cobalt Blue
- Ultramarine Blue, 3 tubes
- Ivory Black
- Either #1 or #2 Flake White, Titanium, Cremnitz White
or even Permalba. It’s greasy and contains a lot of oil, but some like the consistency of it.
Portable easel: There are many on the market. I prefer the wooden french easel that Julian makes, but Mabef and others make good ones too. Soltec makes a hi-tech one that’s pricey, and Guerilla Box makes nice pochade (small) boxes that can accommodate larger sized panels. For the best prices on travel easels, try this link: www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/2109/art-supplies/4
Panels: 8 x 10s, 9 x 12s, up to 12 x16. For pre-primed boards, Frederix canvas boards are fine. For higher quality, pre-primed boards, try the linen-on-gatorfoam panels by New Traditions (www.newtraditionsartpanels.com).
- palette cup and knife
- some kind of tight-lid brush washer
- 1 qt. (at least) Turpenoid or Gamsol odorless solvent (not Turpenoid Natural, which is used only as a brush cleaner, not as a medium)
- any refined linseed oil
* Optional, but highly recommended: clip-on umbrella for your easel. Keeps sun off your painting, your palette, and yourself. Also shields your eyes from glare. Jerry’s offers a deal for one with an easel.