You will find these supplies at ArtWorks in Excelsior (ask for a student discount), Dick Blick, Wet Paint, and Michaels (go online and google “Michaels Coupons” and usually there is one available to print and take to the store with you). Hobby stores like Michaels don’t carry Coates charcoal as recommended. Their charcoal will only achieve a dark grey color and sometimes contains hard impurities which can make it frustrating to work with. Though if you must get your charcoal at Michaels, you’ll get by OK. Art supplies are also available online through Amazon (free shipping with Amazon Prime), Dick Blick, Cheap Joe’s Art Supplies, Pearls, Art Supply Warehouse, among others. Many online art suppliers will offer free shipping if you purchase over a certain dollar amount.
- Tablet rough newsprint 18″ x 24″
- Drawing board large enough for your newsprint with clips to hold your paper
- Sketchbook (9″ x 12″ or 11″ x 14″; wire bound on the side to open like a book)
- Medium willow charcoal (Coates is a nice brand if your store carries it)
- Kneaded eraser
- Pink pearl eraser
- 6B charcoal pencil
- 6B woodless pencil
- Pencil sharpener
- Tape (for holding down newsprint)
- Small soft cloth, chamois or paper towel (for blending charcoal)
Please bring these materials to the first day of class if possible. I will bring a few supplies if anyone is in a bind but won’t have enough for everyone. Looking forward to meeting you and having a great drawing experience together!