1-Day Drawing Workshop “Fundamentals of Drawing” with Suzann Beck
Please bring the following:
- Notebook and pen/pencil for taking notes.
- Soft Vine Charcoal
- Charcoal Pencils—Black and white. (A General’s pack that has 3 hardnesses, a white pencil and kneaded eraser is ideal for the workshop.)
- 6B or 8B Graphite Pencil or similar.
- 2 or more sticks of square compressed charcoal.
- Kneaded Eraser
- Economical Sketching Paper (I recommend Strathmore sketching paper or similar, at least 14” x 18” notepad or similar).
- 1 or 2 sheets of tinted Strathmore Charcoal paper or similar for your final drawings.
- Masking tape or clips to secure your paper.
- A drawing board to attach your paper to (small, medium, or large size).
- Paper towels for blending charcoal.
- Pencil Sharpener.
- If possible, a grayscale/value finder to help you identify and duplicate shadow values.
Optional: A couple of simple objects to use in a still life—plain in texture and color.
Optional items, not needed for the workshop but fun to have:
- Chamois cloth for lifting/blending charcoal.
- Dry erase pad for soft erasing and cleaning up backgrounds (used in mechanical drawings).
- A travel sketchbook and .07mm mechanical pencil and leads— for sketching on the run.
- Any favorite drawing medium such as conte, sanguine, brown pencils, etc